Wednesday 14 December 2016

Could geo-engineering influence lightning?

The main draw to geo-engineering for me, specifically stratospheric sulphate injection was mechanisms in cloud condensation nuclei as well as aerosol optical properties and dynamics. Recently, I produced a literature review on the evolution of lightning with respect to climate change across the Contiguous United States (CUS). As I sit here now questioning life choices, I'm also questioning how would SSI influence lightning frequency? Would it even influence lightning frequency?!

I am well aware this question far surpasses anything I could achieve here, (possible PhD proposal? Comments welcome) but during my review I came across research by Tan et al., whom studied the Nanjing region of China and the influence pollutant aerosols had on the regions lightning frequency. Considering the variables of convertible available potential energy (CAPE), flash density and surface temperature against an aerosols optical depth they concluded a negative correlation suggesting aerosols dampen the electrification of a cloud as a result of their radiative properties. A previous study characterised flash density increased up to aerosol concentrations of 1000cm-3 but decrease when levels exceed 1500cm-3 though much more research is required to better validate such results.

Another consideration, the aim is to inject into the Stratosphere, these processes occur solely in the Troposphere which would then make the problem dependent on both the method of injection as well as sedimentation species and rates. 

P.s. I like this idea, a lot so be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment